Using my French bread recipe as a base, I made this soft garlic bread. Below is the French Bread recipe. I had made the bread earlier this week- so I used the leftovers to make the garlic bread.
Simply thinly slice the bread and butter each side. Sprinkle with garlic powder. Reform the loaf by stacking slices back together. Completely enclose in aluminum foil and bake at 350* for 30 minutes.
GF French Bread
1 cup warm milk (heated in the microwave for about 1 min)
1/2 cup warm water
2 tbsp sugar
1 packet dry active yeast
2 cups rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
3 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp vinegar
3 egg whites, slightly beaten
1. In a small bowl, combine warm milk and water. Stir in sugar and yeast. Set aside until it begins to foam (10-15 minutes). Preheat the oven to 200*- once it reaches 200* and before placing the dough in turn it off. You are just creating a warm place for the dough to rise.
2. Combine flours, xanthan gum, salt, and egg yolk into the Kitchen Aid mixing bowl and blend briefly on low.
3. Once the yeast mixture foam, mix it into the flour mixture. Then, add oil, vinegar, and egg whites. Beat on high for 3 minutes.
4. On a cookie sheet with a silicone mat or on a large pizza stone (my preference) shape two loaves. I use a glass of water to dip my spatula in so the dough doesn’t stick. Use the spatula to shape the loaves.
5. Brush the loaves with olive. Then sprinkle with sea salt, poppy seeds, and minced onion.
6. Place the dough in the preheated and turned off oven. Allow to rise for 1 hour.
7. Then bake at 375* for 45 minutes.