I use my GF French Bread recipe as a base for this filling bread.
GF Italian Sausage Bread
1/2 green pepper
8 oz cream cheese
1 lb. Italian sausage, crumbled
1 loaf GF French Bread (see recipe below)
In a sauce pan, brown sausage with onions and green pepper. When sausage is no longer pink, add cream cheese. Cook over medium heat until cream cheese “melts” into sausage mixture. Slice bread in half horizontally, and then spoon meat mixture into between bread halves. If the bread was not warm to start with, cover in foil and heat at 425* until heated through- about 20 minutes. If the bread is fresh from the oven, no need to heat through.
Slice in regular slices to serve.
This French bread recipe yields a light, velvety, delicious bread- even if you can eat “real” bread you won’t want to pass it up. I use this dough base for a variety of breads (bread bowls, dinner rolls, French bread).
GF French Bread
1 cup warm milk (heated in the microwave for about 1 min)
1/2 cup warm water
2 tbsp sugar
1 packet dry active yeast
2 cups rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
3 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp vinegar
3 egg whites, slightly beaten
1. In a small bowl, combine warm milk and water. Stir in sugar and yeast. Set aside until it begins to foam (10-15 minutes). Preheat the oven to 200*- once it reaches 200* and before placing the dough in turn it off. You are just creating a warm place for the dough to rise.
2. Combine flours, xanthan gum, salt, and egg yolk into the Kitchen Aid mixing bowl and blend briefly on low.
3. Once the yeast mixture foam, mix it into the flour mixture. Then, add oil, vinegar, and egg whites. Beat on high for 3 minutes.
4. On a cookie sheet with a silicone mat or on a large pizza stone (my preference) shape two loaves. I use a glass of water to dip my spatula in so the dough doesn’t stick. Use the spatula to shape the loaves.
5. Brush the loaves with olive. Then sprinkle with sea salt, poppy seeds, and minced onion.
6. Place the dough in the preheated and turned off oven. Allow to rise for 1 hour.
7. Then bake at 375* for 45 minutes.